Friday, November 11, 2011

What's on your car?

I always find it interesting, and at times almost a game, to figure out what message people are trying to send by what they have on their car.  For those fully loaded, it's like reading an autobiography. 

I saw a  license plate today "PRAZN GD".  That one seemed easy enough.  Until they cut me off in traffic...

I find myself even more intrigued by the little "people" decals that folks stick to their rear windshield.  I wonder how they decide which persona fits them best?  How do you take your life and narrow it down to one sticker?  Does it really represent what you are, or just what you want people to think you are?  Or is it just what you want to be?  

We have very little décor on our aging mini-van.  A faded sticker from the gymnastics place, a 13.1 shamrock from my ½ marathon and an “All Saints Catholic School” magnet.  I wonder what people think when they see that combination?  I wonder if they think we are a bunch of devout lithe exercise freaks?? What would they think if they knew we no longer have anyone doing gymnastics in the house, I ran that one ½ marathon and have barely logged any miles since, and that the registered owner of the car is Presbyterian?

At the other extreme are the “bare” cars – and I know some people who specifically DON’T want to have any acknowledgement that they might be a Christian on their vehicle because they think it sets a higher expectation of driver competence.  Maybe it does.  Is that so wrong?  I am quite cognizant of the Catholic school sticker on my car, and most times it does actually make me think twice about how I drive.  Except for when it doesn’t – and then I just hope the one I offended will grant me the grace that I would hope to grant them.

What’s stuck (or NOT stuck) on the back of you car?  Does it really represent who you are?  Does it really represent who you want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment