Sunday, July 22, 2012

Silence and Soul Restoration


He restoreth my soul


These words from the 23rd Psalm are on my mind.  I've learned not to question why certain scripture verses stick out at certain times - but I'll admit this one puzzled me more than most.  Blasphemous as it may be, I am not a huge fan of the 23rd Psalm as many are.  Most likely, it reminds me of times of illness, or dark times.  The valleys of life.  It's just not my "go to" scripture.  Except when it is.

He restoreth my soul.

For months I have looked forward to this week.  After spending a wonderful family vacation together, this week my family has gone separate ways.  Each of us will experience a new thing, and will hopefully be blessed for it.  Nic will get his first ever camping experience.  Greg will try and relive his Boy Scout glory days - and they'll do it together.  Of the two, I am not sure who was more excited!  And the little girl who is turning too quickly into a young lady will get away from her family and spread her wings as she nurtures her fledgling independence. 

And then there is me.  myself.  and I.  My first ever "stay-cation".

He restoreth my soul.

The original thought for my time was to get everything done that I have said I was going to get done for the past 10 years in this house.  And I was going to have a party every night.  My house would be clean from top to bottom ALL AT THE SAME TIME AND STAY THAT WAY FOR DAYS.

He restoreth my soul.

I have reconsidered my approach.  The good thing about getting older is you know your limits.  The bad thing about getting older is you know your limits…so compromise.  I can see that I am approaching my limits.  Patience and energy have been decreasing.  Attitude could be better.  Spunkiness is waning.  Eating could be WAY healthier.  

SO, I will use a big chunk of my 120 hours working on soul restoration. I am not sure myself what this will entail.  Probably lots of time in silence.  listening.  praying.  waiting.  It will drive me crazy, but when I have made myself really take time for this in the past, it has been a blessing.

He restoreth my soul.

Wine and Ice Cream.  It will be dinner tonight.  But then it's time to ...be silent.




1 comment: