Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Man on the Corner

Disclaimer #1:  I do not consider myself a “nice” person.  I am not some big meany, but I am not usually the sympathetic ear that people approach to bare their souls (though I have my moments).  I don’t tolerate whining well from most people, including myself. Most times I feel people are in the situations they are in primarily because of their own decisions and actions.

And yet here I am somewhat haunted by a random homeless man on a street corner in Richmond.  I first encountered this man about a month ago.  I was leaving Richmond after a conference and was the first car stopped at a red light.  I saw him right away – with his cardboard sign declaring his homelessness and joblessness complete with long beard.  He wandered by my car while I stared straight ahead.

Disclaimer #2:  After years of living in Washington, DC, I admit to being fairly desensitized to homeless appeals for money.  Especially since we used to interview these folks for our college sociology classes and found out that many of them made quite a bit of money sitting on the streets of DC.  More than they would have earned at some jobs.

SO, what happened that day sitting at the red light?  After the man had already passed my car, I was, quite frankly, overcome by shame.  In my head I just kept thinking – This man is a child of God.  I don’t know how he got here, but how can I ignore him as he walks by?  Being the common sense girl that I am in a shady metro area, I rolled down my window and called over to him to come back.  I looked him square in the eye and said, “I can’t do anything for you long-term but pray.  And I will pray that you find a way to a better situation.”  Then I shoved a wad of bills in his hand and the light turned green.  I realized as I drove away that I never got his name.  But I have been praying for “the man on the corner” ever since.

I have no idea why I felt the urge to communicate with this man.  I am have no idea why he continues to be in my thoughts when most times I would never have remembered him.  But as we approach Thanksgiving and I am thinking of the many who are without basic shelter, I am thankful for that day on the corner in Richmond.  Even when we think we are good people, it is so easy to tune out the needs of our neighbors. 

I was back in Richmond last week.  And found myself at the same red light.  And, there he was.  It might have been the same sign – but he was on the opposite side of the intersection this time and the light changed to green a little faster.  Maybe next time I’ll get his name, but in the meantime I’ll continue to pray for “the man on the corner”.

No comments:

Post a Comment